Go to the Media Center to get the latest edition of the ECC Times newsletter and ECC Monthly Activities Calendar.
RSD's Family Instructional and Resource Service Team (FIRST) provides for the needs of deaf and hard of hearing infants, toddlers, and twos, newborn to age three. The FIRST team delivers a comprehensive array of services, using curriculum materials from the SKI-HI Institute, The Creative Curriculum® for Infants, Toddlers and Twos and Teaching Strategies GOLD®. We work with children and families in their homes and at our Early Childhood Center (ECC) on the RSD campus.
For assistance in applying to RSD, to arrange for a campus tour, or for general intake referral information, call 585-336-5854; 585-286-2806 (VP) or e-mail: Info@RSDeaf.org.
Our home-based program (birth to 18 months) includes:
- Support for families as they adjust to the unique communication and socialization needs of their children
- Regular visits from specially certified preschool and speech teachers who are bilingual and fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and English, and who work with children using all types of assistive devices including hearing aids and cochlear implants
- Opportunities to network with deaf and hard of hearing members of the RSD learning community who may provide:
- Access to other role models who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Insights into Deaf Culture
- Assistance with learning ASL
- Discussion of their life experiences
Our center-based program (18 months through age 3) includes:
- Two or three half- or full-day sessions per week. Sessions gradually increase as the child grows and develops
- Age-appropriate instruction, creative play and time for socialization from specially certified teachers who are bilingual and fluent in ASL and English
- Continuation of home-based services, as needed