Thursday, April 13, 2017
Rochester School for the Deaf Teacher Carrie Fisher Named Top Ten Teacher-of-the-Year
RSD educator is one of ten selected in the 5th-annual teacher of the year contest
Sorenson Communications, LLC (“SVRS”), the leading provider of Video Relay Service (VRS), and the company that revolutionized communications for Deaf people, named Rochester School for the Deaf High School Mathematics Teacher Carrie Fisher as one of the Top Ten Teachers-of-the-Year for 2017. Carrie has been a teacher at RSD since 2008.
Each year, Sorenson awards deserving teachers of Deaf schools the Sorenson Teacher-of-the-Year Award. Each teacher wins a grant to use in his or her classroom.
Carrie's award was revealed to her on Thursday, April 6th, 2017, at an after-school RSD faculty and staff assembly led by Jessica Meissner, RSD Director of Curriculum & Instruction and Nancy Perry, RSD Principal. The official announcement was made nationwide on Thursday, April 13th, 2017, through this video: https://youtu.be/OyLNfcjXcUk posted to the SVRS Facebook page and SVRS Web site.
Sorenson Communications – SVRS 2017 Top Ten Teachers-of-the-Year
1. Idaho School for the Deaf and Blind Cristi Lancaster
2. Kansas School for the Deaf Joelle Allen
3. Kentucky School for the Deaf Byron Wilson
4. Lexington School for the Deaf Leigh Crane
5. Marie Philip School at the Learning Celeste Gauthier
Center for the Deaf
6. Model Secondary School for the Deaf Emily Schreiner
7. Ohio School for the Deaf Tamara Burnett-Penny
8. The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf Melissa Keeley
9. Rhode Island School for the Deaf Susan Ward
10. Rochester School for the Deaf Carrie Fisher